Monday 30 September 2019

Chapter 6 - Shinkansen / Bullet Train


Date: 29 and 30 September 2019

Out:
Nozomi 124 Osaka bound for Tokyo
2.5 hrs
Model: N700

In:
Nozomi 23 Tokyo bound for Hakata (our station was Osaka)
2.5 hrs
Model: N700

Why:
To attend Australia v Wales at Tokyo Stadium (3rd match in Tokyo; 4th match total)


What a nose!



16 carriages per train

Condition of train: dusty on the outside (not as shiny as at the musuem!), 100% cleaner than any British train I have been on inside (helped by people like me who take my rubbish off the train; not helped by people like Paul who leave their rubbish on the train - his excuse was there are hardly any bins in Japan so why should he carry his trash.... Yes, it pissed me off too).

The journey was smooth and swift given it was a distance of 497km if driven (6 hrs plus). I guess that means the train was traveling at close to 200km/h... I couldn't see any kilometer markers to calculate the speed myself!

I also, surprise surprise, could not see Mt Fuji. Wherever she was, she was covered by cloud even though I could see her neighbouring mountains.

Cool thing about the Shinksansen train seating is that the seats turn 180' so that they can be flipped to face the direction of travel or to create areas where you can sit facing your fellow travellers. That is simple, yet effective! And I am starting to expect no less from Japan on such things....


Spinning seats!


A photo I took of a photo of the Shinkansen passing Mt Fuji, as I had a feeling visibility would be low IRL (in real life)

This return journey, booked less that 48 hrs in advance, cost the equivalent of £217. Each! There are discounts that apply to early booking but we could not book too far in advance because our itinerary wasn't firmed up. Also, foreigners can purchase a rail pass but this was something we didn't think necessary as we have the campervan.
Turns out, we could have taken two similar Shinksansen journies for the cost of a rail pass. Hindsight.

Other than my general excitement for the bullet train, it was a fairly standard train journey with snoring commuters, squealing babies and an expensive food trolley. The only difference to UK trains?
It ran completely on time and the trains were spotlessly clean.

Take away thoughts: not enough space for luggage storage on board.
Without the trip to the Maglev musuem last week the entire journey would only have been half as exciting!

In between, we headed to Tokyo Stadium for Australia v Wales. Did not support Wales. Could not support Australia. So I supported myself to a few Heineken tinnies and 10 Post-Match McNuggets. In between I told Aussie fans how I liked their yellow jerseys (just so I could get into an argument with them over whether or not the colour is gold 😂) and I just refrained from speaking to the Welsh generally. It was quite nice to come across a few of my people (those in England shirts) although when I approached to say 'do you mind I wish to stand with my people' the two middle age English men probably looked at me and thought that I was crazy.
I forget I am not white sometimes, more than I forget I am not male!

I wore my England flag like a sari, some would say....ironically.



Photo credit: Paul


Straya v Welshers

Stayed the night in a capsule hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo, as we had left the van in Osaka! I will post a blog on Capsule Hotel living. I approve of this type of accommodation! #notSingaporeStandard #butIcandeal


Post blog update for those in the power generation and power distribution business:

The Shinkansen sources its power from its own power generation systems and substations, meaning it does not rely on the equivalent of a 'national grid' to keep its trains running on time. Imagine if Southern Rail had to run its own power generation to operate its trains!

No comments:

Post a Comment